Saturday, September 4, 2010

Social Experiment round 2

Tried the signs again and got a bit reactions while sitting by the Old Navy on State St. My time holding the sign only lasted about ten minutes before interruption came around.

A middle aged guy decided to set up his microphone and speaker near where I was sitting. He started by yelling things at people like: "read your bible!", "There are no homosexuals in heaven, your gonna burn!", "You smokers can't get to heaven" and many more things that were condemning and not reflecting of the love of Christ.

I find that more I see thing like this the more it hurts my heart and annoys me. For the first time I decided to be confrontational with another believed.

Started to ask him what Christ would be saying to these people. The more he yelled, the more they ignored him.

Told him that this was not a very loving way to reach people. When he kept ignoring me and telling me off, I started to get annoyed.

I Started reading 1 Cor. 13 and spoke it loudly, loud enough to drown out the sound of his hatefulness with a mic.

"If I speak in the tongues of men and angels, but have not love, i am only a resounding gong of a clanging cymbal"
-1 Cor. 13:1

I continued on through 1 Cor. 13 about what love is.

I had a few people come up to me and thank me for what I was doing. This was not the reaction I wanted, but people were glad to have somebody trying to give a good reflection of Christ. From what they said, he was there all the time and usually very hateful.

I finished with Cor 13 and decided to try out some signs.

First sign was
-"Who are you to judge?"
Second
-"Is this what Christ would do?"

I held the signs silently across the sidewalk from him. I held the first one for 5 minutes and the second for 10. I stood and stared at him the whole time.

He finally after the 15 minutes I held the sign, packed up and left the streets.

No comments: