Monday, August 16, 2010

Monday 8/9/10

5 am.......wake-up call, with the little sleep I had five was too soon. Went out and got my clothes from the hot box. Seems it only kills off bugs and not smells, the clothes were still dirty and smelled. I was sweaty and gross from the sleep, so putting on my dirty clothes only doubled the problem.

Went downstairs, grabbed my stuff and sat in the auditorium. Service was basic and seemed most slept through it. After the service was breakfast.

Breakfast was oatmeal and bananas. Luckily they did have coffee, so my headache was not too bad. Before leaving I asked one of the staff for a toothbrush. After giving me a lot of huffing and puffing, he finally went off and tried to find one. I was overjoyed when he gave me one.

I walked out the door and headed for downtown. As I was walking down S. Canal, Jamal ran over and asked where I was going, I told him "just moving on". He said goodbye and God bless.

Got to downtown and found a spot to sit. Sitting on the corner of S. Wabash and Jackson in a corner journaling and playing harmonica. The looks and glares could have cut me up. My spot in the doorway did not work, tried using sign #1 with no luck. One lady said "I have no money, but i have this" (handed me a jehovahs witness pamphlet.) An officer told me to move because I couldn't sid in the doorway (can't sit in an abandoned doorway?) So I walked up to Millenium park. It had bathrooms and fountains which was nice to find.

Decided to walk all the way up to the Hancock. Sat at the south side of the Michigan Ave. entrance to the Chicago Water Works. Used Signs 2 and 3. I was given $28 and a granola bar. Used $21 to buy a cheap backpack at Walgreens. I got a lot of 'good lucks', a few 'take cares' and one lady passing by said to her boyfriend "I hate the homeless". God booted from the Water Works site once again by the cops.

Walked back to Millenium Park. Slept on the hill near the bean.

It is strange feeling so alone and outcast from those around you. loneliness is not a fun living style.

Another bum asked me to buy him a hotdog. I told him that I had no money and have been asking on the streets too. I feel really bad now, I have $10 on me. Should I have bought it?

(I miss Molly a lot at this point. It is hard to go from a place of feeling loved to a place where you are rejected. There is such a need for relationship.)

Went out into the city again and sat for a bit longer with no luck. Held up sign number 4. Met another homeless guy who tried to show me the ropes. No luck with his help. We talked for a minute and turns out he was an alcoholic, but was not interested in talking any farther.

While sleeping in the park later that day, I saw a chick about my age sleeping near where I was lying. Asked her if she was homeless of there for the concert. She said that she was homeless and had been living as a squatter for 12 years. She asked me if I had clean socks then tossed me a clean pair. We talked for a bit and she said that I could join her on her journey. Told her that I would think about it.

We packed up and went to downtown. She had worn the same pair for pants for about a year and wanted to buy a new pair. We went to Old Navy and Macys. After she finally found a pair we headed over to Borders to get some coffee. She bought me a cup of coffee. We sat, while she charged her phone, and talked. She said that she wanted to know me if I was going to stick around.

(Continued under monday night)

Map of Downtown


Signs
#1 - I only need Food & a backpack God bless
#2 - I need Food & a backpack Thank you God bless
#3 - food.............$10
backpack..........$20
making some ones life better.........priceless
#4 - I just want food

No comments: