Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Tuesday 8/10/10

Security guard came for the courthouse came woke me up at 5 and told me to leave. I packed up and started walking towards Millenium park. I stopped and laid down on the sidewalk next to the Cultural Center on Michigan Ave. Slept for about an hour and a half. Woke up to people walking by on the sidewalk. Opened my eyes to see two girls staring at me, Got up and moved into Millenium park to sleep some more, woke up at 10.

Woke up and headed to the courthouse square. Sat across from Mcdonalds with sign #5, took a while but finally collected $5. Never been so happy to get a McDouble. I bought one for me and one for another homeless guy sitting out front. Chatted with him for a bit and left.

Went back to Millenium park to sleep. I had planned to to back to PGM at 5 for dinner. Slept till 4:30, a bit too late to take the hour walk up to PGM. Walked into downtown and sat near a subway and used sign #5.

Had been sitting there a while with no luck, a guy named Paolo stopped and asked if i was serious. He invited me back to his apartment for dinner. We found a cab and went up Clark near Fullerton. He gave me $9 to get dinner at the store near his house, I used $4 and some change and he let me keep the other $5. He got some drinks and we went to his apartment. I looked around and tried to make sure that I had a way out and it might be safe to go inside. We sat on the couch eating and watching TV. We got to have a conversation about life and I was able to share with him how God had been good to me. Talked about how even in times like this I trust in God and he always comes through.

After a few minutes he startes making advances at me. After telling him no and that I was not gay and not interested he stopped for a few minutes. He walked into the kitchen then came back and tried to give me a back rub. I got up and started leaving, he objected and told me that I could stay the night. I figured this guy would not be interested if I tried to tell him any of the gospel, so I left. He gave me $2.25 for the subway to the shelter.

Wandered for a bit and finally found the subway station. Took the train down to Roosevelt and walked over to PGM. I was glad to have a shower and get out of my nasty clothes.

Paolo was a strange experience. It really opened my eyes to what can happen to street kids. I was told later by Josh that it is common for people to prey on street kids for sex. There are lots of street kids out there who get into that situation for food and shelter. I could see that when I was in Houston, TX working with street kids there. I saw a number of people who were in that situation for protection and felt like they could not get out because of the fear of what could happen.

Who is picking people up off of the streets. People are looking for something and who is giving the answers to them. Hindus? Gays? Muslims? Atheists? Humanists? Where are the Christians? We could be the ones picking people up and supplying their needs. We could help them along and show them the love of Christ, who didn't care what might be wrong with them. Who will influence the world? Who will help those on the streets? I met few true followers of Christ while on the street. I know that people who help others and love them how Christ would could have great effect.


-Ben

Signs
#5 - I just need food

1 comment:

Holly said...

You're right. We've also forgotten that by entertaining strangers, some have entertained angels unawares.
We are so afraid, as Christians, to minister to others at our own risk. Now, I only think that those risks should come out of obedience... We need more than a fuzzy, vague inclination toward helping a stranger in a way that could jeopardize our reputation or personal safety. In other words I don't believe in taking those risks without wisdom and a clear sense of God's compelling us, but we will miss opportunities if we're never willing to lay down our lives for Christ, and reach out to "the least of these." I'd rather die a martyr than loose my soul due to self-preservation. God save me from saving myself!