Monday, August 23, 2010

Thursday 8/12/10

Finally gave up on finding a place to get bug spray. It was way too late to be wandering around the city. Decided to sleep at the plaza by the Court building again. Once again I got kicked out by security at about five in the morning. Wandered over to Millenium park again. Bathrooms were closed, but at least I could refill my empty water bottles at the fountain. I did pee in the doorway though, had to go and figured I would "do it like the homeless".

Me at the Courthouse plaza during a US outreach with YWAM in 08


Slept in the park for a while. Got up after a few hours and headed to Cafe Descartes. Sat and did some writing for a bit.

Wandered for a bit because I was not sure what I was going to do. Walked up to the Water Works. Jumped on a train back to Lake and walked up to the park by the library. Rested for a bit and decided to do a bible study of Romans and Proverbs.

Sat at the southwest corner of the park by the library (I believe it is called Pritzer Park). Used sign #5,6,7, and 8 receiving two granola bars. I was not getting very far with them so I tried a new thing.

Sign 9 & 9.5 were not asking for anything, but more of a test to wee what people would do. I got 4 answers and a few stares. A guy named Paul stopped and talked for a minute, then went to CVS to get me some food. After holding my sign up for a few minutes longer, Paul came back. He handed me a bag with chocolate milk, cashews, and almond cookies. He stopped and talked with me for a while.

Paul and I talked about traveling, government, business, cars, and life. I didn't get any opportunity for witness. He was homeless by choice and had been doing it for years. He wanted to stick it to the government by staying off the radar. He gave me a fake $1,000,000 bill and a used bus pass good for another 4 hours. Paul got up and told me, "don't forget, there is always hope", then left.

After Paul left I got up and tried to find another homeless person to give the food. I finally found the lady who sits at the McDonalds by the courthouse. Gave her the food (minus the milk) and continued on me way to PGM.

I jumped on the redline to Roosevelt. Walked over to PGM, this would be my last stay. I did not want to beg for dinner that night, and I wanted a shower. Tried to start up conversations with the guys around me, but they were not very responsive.

On the way upstairs I ran into Jamal. He had signed up with PGM for their biblical training classes and work program. He was excited to see me again. When I told him that I would be leaving town and moving on he was excited for me.

Got a shower and it felt amazing. I'm glad that the guys around there were mostly helpful and easy going, they gave me a bit of shampoo and told me where to get a job (all while I was in the shower). I finally got my shoes and socks off and I checked my feet............2 blisters, no wonder they hurt soo much.

Signs
5 - I just need some food
6 - Homeless & need food, God Bless
7 - Why so quick to judge?
8 - God Bless you
9 - Can you even see me? (9.5 was the same with larger wording)

No comments: